ISLAMABAD, June 21, 2012: Starting 42 minutes late, the 11th sitting of the ongoing session, which met for only 36 minutes on Thursday offered condolences on a death of an MPA.
Six Members paid tribute to the deceased legislator during the sitting.
The Chief Minister, the Leader of the Opposition, the Deputy Speaker and the leaders of PMLN and PPPS did not attend the sitting.
Following are some key observations of the parliamentary business:
Members’ Participation in House Proceedings
- The Assembly met for 36 minutes.
- The sitting started at 1742 hours against the scheduled starting time of 1700 hours. The House proceedings started late by 42 minutes.
- The Speaker chaired the sitting.
- The Chief Minister and the Leader of the Opposition did not attend the sitting.
- The parliamentary leaders of PML and PPPP were present.
- A total of 35 Members (28% of total membership – 124) were present at the start, while 50 (40%) were present when the sitting was adjourned.
- Two minority Members were present during the sitting.
- Sixteen Members applied for leave to be absent.
Representation and Responsiveness
- The formal agenda was suspended due to a death of an MPA of the KP Assembly.
- The House offered condolences on the demise of an MPA – six Members spoke on the matter.
- No Bills were taken up by the House.
Order and Institutionalization
- No Points of Order were raised during the sitting.
- There were no instances of protest, boycotts or walkouts during the sitting.
- List of Business was available to legislators, observers and others.
- Information on Members’ attendance was unavailable to observers and the public.
The Daily Factsheet is based on direct observation of Khyber Pakhtunkhwa Assembly proceedings conducted by PAIMAN Alumni Trust, a member organization of FAFEN