ISLAMABAD, Sept 3, 2012: Starting 60 minutes late, the fourth sitting of the Khyber Pakhtunkhwa Assembly’s 27th session met for three hours on Monday. It witnessed low attendance of MPAs. Only 25 (20% of total Membership) were present at the start, while 33 (27%) were there at the adjournment.
The Chief Minister, the Deputy Speaker, and the Leader of the Opposition did not attend the sitting. Only the PPPP parliamentary leader attended the sitting.
Three out of eight questions appearing on the agenda were taken up and responded to the relevant minister. Additionally, one supplementary question was also asked.
Following are some key observations of the parliamentary business:
Members’ Participation in House Proceedings
- The Assembly met for three hours.
- The sitting started at 1100 hours against the scheduled starting time of 1000 hours. The House proceedings started late by 60 minutes.
- The Speaker presided over the sitting. The Deputy Speaker was not present.
- The Chief Minister and the Leader of the Opposition were absent.
- Only the parliamentary leader of the PPPP attended the sitting.
- Twenty-five Members (20% of total Membership) were present at the start, while 33 (27%) were present when the sitting was adjourned.
- One Minority Member was present during the sitting.
- Three Members applied for leave.
Representation and Responsiveness
- Three out of eight questions appearing on the agenda were taken up and responded to the relevant minister. Additionally, one supplementary question was also asked.
- Four Calling Attention Notices were taken up by the House.
- One Adjournment Motion was taken up and debated by the House.
- One out of two Bills appearing on the agenda was passed by the House.
Order and Institutionalization
- No Point of Order was raised during the sitting time.
- There is no instance of protest, boycott or walkout during the sitting.
- List of Business was available to Legislators, observers and others.
- Information on Members’ attendance was unavailable to observers and the public.
The Daily Factsheet is based on direct observation of Khyber Pakhtunkhwa Assembly proceedings conducted by PAIMAN Alumni Trust, a member organization of FAFEN