ISLAMABAD, October 19, 2020: The National Assembly was adjourned on Monday due to lack of quorum amidst absence of the Leaders of the House and the Opposition, observes Free and Fair Election Network in its Daily Factsheet.
Following are key observations of the House proceedings during the second sitting of 27th session:
- The National Assembly met for 47 minutes; however, the proceedings remained suspended for 34 minutes due to lack of quorum.
- The sitting started at 1612 hours against the scheduled time of 1600 hours.
- The Speaker presided over the entire sitting.
- The Deputy Speaker was also present.
- The Leaders of the House (Prime Minister) and the Opposition did not attend the sitting.
- As many as 27 (8%) were present at the outset and 77 (23%) at the adjournment of the sitting.
- The parliamentary leaders of BAP, PML and PPPP attended the sitting.
- Four out of 10 minority lawmakers were present.
- The House did not consider the legislative business, two calling attention notices and reports while the question hour was also not observed.
Order and Institutionalization
- A PPPP lawmaker pointed out the quorum at 1622 hours which led to the suspension of the proceedings for 34 minutes. On resumption of the proceedings at 1656 hours, the quorum was found incomplete and the House was adjourned to meet again on October 20, 2020 (Tuesday) at 1600 hours.
- Orders of the Day was available to the legislators, observers and public.
- Attendance of the lawmakers is available on the National Assembly’s website.
This daily factsheet is based on direct observation of the National Assembly proceedings conducted by Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN). Errors and omissions are excepted