ISLAMABAD, December 21, 2012: The 2nd sitting of the 36th session was marked by the hasty passage of a government bill amidst excessive use of points of order by the legislators.
Sixty seven minutes (93% of the sessions’ time) was consumed by the members’ speeches on seven points of order, while the Code of Civil Procedure (Amendment) Bill, 2012 was passed in the remaining time of the sitting. Only a single point of order attracted the chairs formal ruling
Starting 35 minutes late against the scheduled time of 1100 hours, the second sitting of the 36th session of Balochistan Assembly met at 1135 hours.
The Chief Minister attended the sitting whereas the Leader of the Opposition was absent. The Deputy Speaker chaired the sitting in the absence of the Speaker and the parliamentary heads of ANP, PMLQ (opted opposition), JUI (ideological), PMLQ and NP, PMLN (single member parties).
The house suspended the question hour during the sitting.
Members’ participation in House proceedings
- The Balochistan Assembly met for an hour and 12 minutes.
- The sitting started at 1135 hours instead of the scheduled starting time of 1100 hours. The proceedings started 35 minutes late.
- As the speaker was not present the Deputy Speaker chaired the entire sitting.
- The Chief Minister attended the entire sitting.
- The parliamentary leaders of BNPA, JUI and the Like Minded Group attended the session.
- Twenty-Two (33%) members were present at the outset while there were 17 (26%) at the end of the sitting.
- None of the minorities attended the sitting.
• Three members applied for leave.
- As moved by an Independent Minister, The Code of Civil Procedure (Balochistan Amendment) Bill 2012 was passed by the House.
Order and institutionalization
- Seven points of order consumed 67 minutes of the sitting time. Only one of the points of order attracted the chair’s formal ruling.
- There were no protests, walkouts or boycotts during the session.
- Orders of the day were available to legislators, observers and others.
- Information on members’ attendance was unavailable to observers and the public.
The Daily Factsheet is based on direct observation of Balochistan Assembly proceedings conducted by Center for Peace and Development (CPD), a Member organization of FAFEN.