ISLAMABAD, January 29, 2021: The Senate transacted its entire agenda on Friday and continued debate on the presidential address to the Parliament, says Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN) in its Daily Factsheet
Following are key observations of the proceedings during the fourth sitting of 306th session:
- The Senate met for two hours and 16 minutes.
- The sitting started at the scheduled time of 1030 hours.
- The Chairman presided over the entire proceedings.
- The Deputy Chairman was not present.
- The Leader of the House attended the entire sitting.
- The Opposition Leader was present for two hours and 35 minutes.
- As many as 15 lawmakers (14%) were present at the outset and 18 (17%) at the adjournment of sitting.
- The parliamentary leaders of PKMAP, PTI, MQM and NP attended the sitting.
- Two minority lawmaker were present.
- The House witnessed presentation of 12 reports by various Committees on matters and legislative proposals referred to them.
- The House passed two motions under Rule 194 (1) granting 10 days extension to Standing Committee on Human Rights for presentation of reports on the National Commission on Rights of Child (Amendment) Bill, 2020 and the Domestic Violence (Prevention and Protection) Bill, 2020.
- Standing Committee on National Food Security and Research was also granted 17-day extension for presentation of report on a starred question regarding establishment of a Seed Producing Authority.
- The House adopted report of the Functional Committee on Problems of Less Developed Areas for the Parliamentary Years 2018-2021.
Representation and Responsiveness
- Minister of State for Parliamentary Affairs responded to two Calling Attention Notices regarding repatriation of two hundred teachers by the Federal Directorate of Education (FDE) and COVID-19 vaccination plan of the government.
- Two lawmakers participated in debate on a Motion of Thanks to the President for his address to the Parliament. They spoke on it for 35 minutes.
- The House took up two out four starred questions while lawmakers asked six supplementary questions as well.
Order and Institutionalization
- Two lawmakers spoke on as many points of public importance for four minutes.
- The House was adjourned to meet again on February 1, 2021 (Monday) at 1500 hours.
- Orders of the Day was available to the legislators, observers and public.
- Attendance of lawmakers was available to the media and observers.
This daily factsheet is based on direct observation of the Senate proceedings conducted by Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN). Errors and omissions are excepted