ISLAMABAD, January 22, 2021: The Senate transacted most of its agenda on Friday and consumed half of the proceedings’ time in discussion on public matters, observes Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN) in its Daily Factsheet.
Following are the key observations of the proceedings during first sitting of 306th session:
- The Senate met for two hours and 40 minutes.
- The sitting started at 1009 hours against the scheduled time of 1000 hours.
- The Chairman presided over the entire proceedings.
- The Deputy Chairman was absent.
- The Leader of the House attended the entire sitting.
- The Leader of the Opposition was present for two hours and 30 minutes.
- Parliamentary leaders of PkMAP, PPPP and MQM attended the sitting.
- Ten members (9% of the total membership – 104) were present at the outset and 15 (14%) at the end of sitting.
- Two minority lawmakers attended the sitting.
- Chairman Standing Committee on Law and Justice presented reports on three bills seeking amendments in Articles 140, 213 and 215 of the Constitution and also on the Enforcement of Women’s Property Rights (Amendment) Bill, 2020.
- On behalf of Chairman Standing Committee on Religious Affairs and Inter-Faith Harmony, the Leader of Opposition presented report on the Muslims Family Laws (Amendment) Bill, 2020.
- On behalf of Chairperson Standing Committee on Federal Education, Professional Training, National History and Literary Heritage, a member of the Committee presented report on the Compulsory Teaching of Arabic Language Bill, 2020.
- On behalf of Chairman Standing Committee on Kashmir Affairs and Gilgit-Baltistan, a member of the Committee presented report on a motion under Rule 218 regarding the need for reforms in Gilgit-Baltistan.
- Chairperson of Standing Committee on National Health Services, Regulations and Coordination presented reports of the Committee on two starred questions about reasons of increase in price medicines and construction of Shifa International Hospital on charity land.
- Minister for Industries and Production presented the first quarterly report for the Financial Year 2020-2021 of the Board of Directors of the State Bank of Pakistan (SBP) on the state of Pakistan’s Economy and the annual report of SBP on the state of Pakistan’s Economy along-with Statistical Supplement for the year 2019-20.
- Advisor to Prime Minister on Parliamentary Affairs presented the copy of Address of the President of Pakistan to both Houses of Parliament assembled together on August 20, 2020. The Chair asked the members to submit their names with him if they want to speak on Presidential address.
Representation and Responsiveness
- The House took up nine out of 13 starred questions. The lawmakers asked 19 supplementary questions as well.
Order and Institutionalization
- Fifteen lawmakers spoke on as many points of public importance for an hour and 22 minutes (51% of the proceedings’ time) which were mainly related to dissolution of PMDC, Medical College Admission Test, internet facilities in Balochistan and ex-FATA and conflict between federal government and Sindh government regarding control of three major hospitals in Karachi.
- The opposition lawmakers walked out from the House for seven minutes over unsatisfactory reply by Minister of Industries and Production to a question during question hour.
- The House was adjourned to meet again on January 25, 2021 (Monday) at 1500 hours.
- ‘Orders of the Day’ was available to the legislators, observers and public.
- The attendance of lawmakers is available on the website.
This daily factsheet is based on direct observation of the Senate proceedings conducted by Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN). Errors and omissions are excepted