ISLAMABAD, May 14, 2012: The fifth sitting of the Khyber Pakhtunkhwa Assembly’s 25th session, which met for an hour and 29 minutes, on Monday witnessed low attendance of Members.
A total of 29 Members (23% of total Membership) were present at the start, while 47 (38%) were present when the sitting was adjourned. The Chief Minister and the Deputy Speaker did not attend the sitting. Only the parliamentary leader of PMLN was present while those of PPPP, PML and PPPS attended were absent.
Six out of 12 questions appearing on the Agenda were taken up and responded by the relevant ministries. Additionally, a total of 19 Supplementary questions were asked.
Following are some key observations of the parliamentary business:
Members’ Participation in House Proceedings
- The Assembly met for an hour and 29 minutes.
- The sitting started at 1656 hours against the scheduled starting time of 1600 hours. The House proceedings started late by 56 minutes.
- The Speaker presided over the sitting. The Deputy Speaker was not present.
- The Chief Minister was absent while the Leader of the Opposition attended the sitting.
- Only the parliamentary leader of PMLN was present while those of PPPP, PML and PPPS attended were absent.
- A total of 29 Members (23% of total Membership) were present at the start, while 47 (38%) were present when the sitting was adjourned.
- Two minority Members were present during the sitting.
- Eight Members applied for leave.
Representation and Responsiveness
- Six out of 12 questions appearing on the Agenda were taken up and responded by the relevant minister. Additionally, 19 Supplementary questions were asked.
- An Adjournment Motion about rehabilitating earthquake victims was debated for six minutes.
- No Bills appeared on the Agenda.
Order and Institutionalization
- Sixteen Points of Order consumed 29 minutes of the sitting time. None of the Points of Order attracted the Chair’s formal ruling.
- There were no instances of protests, boycotts or walkouts.
- List of Business was available to Legislators, observers and others.
- Information on Members’ attendance was unavailable to observers and the public.
The Daily Factsheet is based on direct observation of Khyber Pakhtunkhwa Assembly proceedings conducted by PAIMAN Alumni Trust, a member organization of FAFEN